Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Soldiers

I am saddened to hear about ABC co-news anchor Bob Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt being seriously injured in Iraq while they were riding with the troops. What I find a real shame is the 2000 plus US soldiers who have died fighting this war not getting the same coverage. Let alone the effects surviving soldiers are going through. The impression I get from news coverage is that a celebrities life is more important than a soldiers. I know that is not true, but why can't we be as concerned about every one of these soldiers lives? How can we pay our respects to those fallen soldiers and their families?

3 Comments:

At 1/30/2006 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think celebs are more important, but they get coverage because we know the newscasters. When NBC's David Bloom died while reporting from Iraq, I felt sad because I watched him host the Today Show every weekend and knew who he was. I think if I had a more personal connection with the soldiers (knew someone who was sent there), I would definitely feel more attached to the "war".

 
At 1/30/2006 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not anonymous... sorry! Forgot to sign my name and I've had problems with leaving comments on others' blogs when using my blogger ID and that crazy "type in the word" security thing. -- jal --

 
At 1/30/2006 11:29 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Jal makes an excellent point. The people we see on TV (or in the movies, etc.) are certainly people we connect with. Here's a site from the Washington Post that can connect us to the fallen soldiers a little.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home